Barbados and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) territories are small islands, highly vulnerable to a range of hazards including earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions. With the onset of climate change it is anticipated that the effects of these hazards will worsen. In light of this, it has been recognized that there is a need for support in building capacity for information and diagnostic systems and; response mechanisms to facilitate decision making for enhanced disaster risk reduction.
- Take into consideration family members with special needs and/or pets
- Stock up on non-perishable foods and make sure you have enough to sustain your family for at least three days
- Store all necessary and important documents in waterproof and air tight containers
- Back up all electronic devices that may store important information
- Make a list of emergency items and ensure that you acquire each item in advance of any pending disaster